Tuesday, January 1, 2008

They risk their lives for us, we give our time and energy for them

I just flew into New Hampshire late last night, where I was greeted quite warmly by a huge group of Ron Paul supporters, celebrating the New Year at Murphy's Tap Room.

On my flight, I had the pleasure of sitting next to an Army reservist, who was on his way home to visit his wife for 15 days after being in Iraq for 8 months. Then, he goes back for another 4 months. He hopes this is his last tour, but he isn't sure. He had just finished another 12-month tour, when he was sent right back out again. He said there is a limit for the Reserves. You aren't supposed to have to tour for more than 2 years in any 5 year period, but he didn't seem convinced that he wouldn't be called again anyway. He was a very upbeat, kind man. He wanted to start his life, but felt like everything was on hold. "But I guess, in the end, it's worth it, right?"

We chatted for a while and then the discussion turned to the primary. He said he doesn't like to talk about politics but he thinks he will have to vote for a Democrat this time. "I'm not very happy with my Commander-in-Chief," he said. He wants a big change in Washington and he doesn't want the U.S. military jumping from country to country over there trying to fix everything.

I told him I was supporting Ron Paul who will end the war and will definitely bring a huge change to Washington. I know he was more interested in spending time with his wife than researching political candidates, but I hope he looks into Ron Paul.

It seems like no matter who I meet, and no matter who those people are voting for, when I hear what is important to them, it's clear that Ron Paul will deliver the America they are looking for. We just need to keep getting the word out.

Diana

No comments: